Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

The following two Valentine projects were originally posted on my Seasonal Delight's site, in 2008. I recently had requests to share them again since the site crashed, so here they are!

IMG_9568.JPG.jpeg

Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2 cup butter
1 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 teaspoons vanilla
2 tablespoons red food coloring

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Line 18 muffin cups with cupcake papers.

2. In a medium bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder. Mix well.

3. In the bowl of an electric mixer beat butter, buttermilk and eggs until combined. Add the vinegar, vanilla and vinegar and mix well.

4. Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix until smooth.

5. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.

6. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Remove cupcakes from pan and let cool completely.


Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
4 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:

1. In a mixing bowl beat the butter, cream cheese, and vanilla until creamy.

2. Gradually stir in the powdered sugar until smooth and fluffy.

3. Using a knife, spread frosting over each cupcake.

4. Add valentine sprinkles of your choice.

IMG_9537.JPG.jpeg

IMG_9583.JPG.jpeg

IMG_9564.JPG.jpeg

Let me know if you try them!

19 comments:

Southern Lady said...

Kelli, those look yummy! I haven't thought that far ahead yet. Thanks for posting. It is getting me in the mood for Valentine's fun. Carla

Sherrie said...

These look yummy! Can't wait to give them a try!

Judy said...

Yum! A childhood favorite of mine. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Jenny said...

Oooo...thanks for posting this! Will definitely have to give them a try!!

Nancy M. said...

How cute they are for Valentines Day too! thanks...

Love Bears All Things said...

Those look Great and Yummy, Too.
Mama Bear

By the way, I am blogging here now.
http://homewiththebears.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Oh, that looks absolutely yummy !! I must try that sometime !!!

Julieann said...

YaY!!! I was so happy to see posts from you:) Loved all the pictures:)

Those cup cakes are adorable!..and those stuffed shells looked amazing.

Happy Friday Kelli!

Julieann

Joolz said...

Hi Kelli

This is the first time I've tried Red Velvet cakes. I just made a batch of the cupcakes for Brianna to take to a 21st Birthday party. I have them on my blog with a link to your lovely site. Thanks for sharing the recipe, it was really easy and the frosting is soooo good!

Cheers - Joolz

Jennifer Truitt said...

I love your blog and I've just awarded you the stylish blogger award! If you are interested just visit my blog for the details!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelli!

Your cupcakes look delicious! It also looks like you had a wonderful Christmas. It is nice to see a post from you! Happy New Year!

God Bless,
Hillary

LBP said...

YUM!! I haven't had red velvet cake in years! Reminds me of the lady who used to baby sit me. She would make it all the time.

Blessings

Linda

Unknown said...

Oh my, how scrumptious those cupcakes look. The pictures capture their amazing colors. Wow.

Jean Tuthill said...

Oh Kelly, these look wonderful! I have been looking for a good RV recipe. I will try these and let you know how they came out!

GranthamLynn said...

Oh great to see you back. I am working on Valentines posts. I will link to you.
I enjoyed seeing your Christmas photo's and seeing Daisy in them!
Have a great year. I'll let you know as I pull together my Valentines posts.
Come by and see me.
Sherry

Alyssa said...

those look really yummy yummy

Jules said...

Yum! These look delisious! My husband's favorite cake is red velvet so I will probably give these a try for Valentine's Day! Thanks! :o)

dining tables said...

Wow! This is so nice and pretty! I definitely love this one. I hope I can make something like this.

A Hint of Home said...

They look delicious! I'm sure they tasted that way too.