Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Cleaning and More Baking

Mrs. Wilt is doing an Anti-Procrastination Challenge this week and I thought I would join in the fun! I decided to tackle the cupboards in our livingroom.

Here is the "before" picture. I'm not even going to explain what all that stuff is in there! ;0)



I'm most happy about getting my candles all in one place. I put them on a tray and now it's easy to slide the whole thing out and get what I need.



Here it is tidied up and organized. I put the beading, felt board and rubber stamp supplies all on the left. Candles and phone books on the right.



Even Fern likes the new look!



Now the way I see it, no work should go unrewarded. Anna's Schoolhouse Quick Sweet Rolls are the perfect reward and they make a yummy breakfast too!



Here are Anna's notes:

I simply took a double batch of biscuit dough and rolled it into a large flat rectangle, spread it with softened butter, sprinkled it heavily with brown sugar and cinnamon, before rolling it up into a log and slicing it in half-inch slices (just like cinnamon rolls) to bake in a greased pan. The whole process took less than half an hour, and they were perfect for a cold wet work day.

These would also take kindly to the addition of raisins, dried cherries, chopped dried apricots, walnuts, or pecans, I think. Or all of the above. And in case you don't have a good biscuit recipe, here's the one I use from the back of the baking powder can:

*Dependable Biscuits*

Mix:

2 1/4 c. white flour
1 T. baking powder
1/2 t. salt

Fluff together with pastry blender. Then cut in:

1/2 c. shortening

Pour:

1 .c milk (can use rice or soy to keep dairy-free)

over mixture. With hands or rubber spatula, gently mix until it holds together as a dough. I never roll mine out, just grab off chunks and roughly shape into biscuit shapes by hand. Lay on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 450 for about 10 minutes.

I baked my cinnamon rolls at 400F for about 30 minutes.



I made a simple glaze from icing sugar and milk for drizzling over the top.



Does anyone else have a project they have been putting off?

23 comments:

Morgan said...

I could go on and on about projects i have put off. :|

Lisa said...

Using the tray for the candles is a very clever idea! Might use that one myself. Care if I borrow? :o)

The rolls look scrumptious. Only problem is that I can't stand the smell of cinnamon rolls! It made me sick when I was pregnant, and I never got over it. How weird is that?

Projects undone aplenty here! *LOL*

Susan P. said...

Oh my, do I have some projects that I have been putting off!! I guess I am procrastinating about the procrastinating challenge! LOL Those rolls look scrumptious and I bet they smelled heavenly while baking. Unlike Lisa, I love the smell of cinnamon:) When I was pregnant I couldn't stand the smell of Dove soap and to this day I feel queasy when I smell it! ( Before I loved it) Hey, that would be a fun idea for a post, wouldn't it? Hmmm!

Tina Leigh said...

Kelli I have come to realize in the past few weeks how bad my problem is with procrastinating!! It causes me sooo many problems. I put everything off! Even going to the bathroom!!! Your shelves look great!! Love Fern!!

dot said...

Kelli, my home is full of projects I keep putting off!

You've got to quit that baking. I know I'm gaining weight just looking at your blog!

Anonymous said...

Great job on your cabinet! I really like the idea of the candles on the tray.
The cinnamon rolls look yummy too.

Paula said...

Hey, the cabinet looks great! Over the years, I have found I function much more smoothly when everything in my house has a place. Does my house still have clutter? Of course.

Your cinnamon rolls brought back childhood memories. Often, Mom would be at the kitchen table rolling out cinnamon rolls as I walked through the door after school. Yours look delicious, too.

Thanks for the link to Mrs. Wilt's blog. Quite interesting!

Sharon said...

iam living in a friends house and just put aside 2 hours to declutter. It is hard with there stuff and our stuff. I sure could use one of those cinnamin rolls before I get started........

theups said...

The cinnamon rolls look TO DIE FOR!!! This is one of those days when I would love just a little something sweet and those cinnamon rolls are calling my name!!!!

Also, I really don't want to talk much about that whole procrastination thing. HAHAHA!!!! I've been putting off several things for soooooo long!!!! Oh no!

His,
Mrs. U

Anonymous said...

Looks great! You did a great job. And, the cinnamon rolls...mmmmmmmmmmm...they look so yummy!

Pamela said...

Talk about getting the whole kit n' caboodle in there! lol

Cinnamon rolls are one of my biggest weaknesses. I will enjoy trying your recipe!

I think I need to join in that challenge. A little early Spring cleaning would feel good! :)

Carole Burant said...

I'm still decluttering..one room at a time! lol Love the way your organized your candles...does make it so much simpler by having them all on that tray! Those cinammon rolls sure look good...your house must always smell soooo wonderful:-) Hugs xox

Sue Seibert said...

Good for you doing all that cleaning. I cleaned my studio, then the bp went up, and I NEED to clean house...just haven't.

Love that Fern!!

The recipe sounds wonderful...yum!

Elizabeth said...

Hi Kelli,
I got all caught up this week too. I miss hearing from you.
The rolls look so good.
Have a blessed week.
Hugs,
Elizabeth

Susie said...

Hi Kelli,
I love the kitty hanging out in the cabinet. What a clever idea for the candles!
Those cinnamon rolls look quick and easy!
I have more undone projects that I'd care to mention!
hugs!

Naturegirl said...

It appears that you have been busy baking up a storm in the last two posts! Don't you just ~LoVe~ it when all is organized!

Huskerbabe said...

Great idea, putting your candles altogether. I'll have to borrow that one. :>)

Anonymous said...

The cabinet looks great...and the rolls look delicious!

Anonymous said...

Great job! And those rolls look delicious! I like your plan of attack...work hard, then enjoy a reward! Yum! A most delightful idea!
Hugs,
Amy

Verena said...

Your cinnanom rolls look sooo mouth-watering, I´m sitting here at the other side of the world wanting to taste them too! Although I know cinnamon rolls, I´ve never seen it in this form.

Deb said...

Your recipes look and sound delicious - I will copy them down and try them. Thank you.

TJ said...

I'm a great fan of sliding trays and Fern is a cutie!!
:-D
PS...thanks for visiting my humble blog and come back any time...just don't forget to bring one of those cimmamon rolls...hehe!!

Sigrun said...

Thank you for the recipe of the rolls. They look delicious.
The cat is very funny!

Sigrun